Saturday, May 8, 2010

FEC round 2...

On Thursday morning Papa and I headed to MD Anderson.

First stop -- lab.  I met with a lady named Sue Rimes, with whom I signed up for another research study.

Then it was time for my blood draw.   Papa was brave and came back with me during my blood draw.  I wanted him to meet Lina (my regular phlebotomist).

Next up check in for my appointment with Dr. Green.  While waiting for Dr. Green, Julia my research nurse came to talk to me about the side effects I've been having from the chemotherapy.  Debbie (my other research nurse) was also there and she gave me a big hug.  Papa also got to meet both Julia and Debbie.  We were also waiting on the results from my blood test to see if my numbers were good enough for me to have my treatment.

Finally the results came back, everything looked good except one count was low.  Last time it was at 1.48 and this time at 1.22.  If the count  gets to 1.0 treatment is held for a day or two and I would be given a shot of Neulasta.  I don't understand the whole thing completely but please pray that my numbers continue to be good for my next treatment.

Dr. Green is very happy with my progress and the fact that she can't feel the tumor.  I was happy to be able to introduce Papa and Dr. Green.

Papa went and explored MD Anderson and the surrounding area while I went for an ultrasound of my ovaries.  I had a very sweet ultrasound tech by the name of Melanie.

Off to wait for my appointment with Dr. Lu, a Gynecological Oncologist.  The appointment went really well.  The results from my ovarian ultrasound showed everything to be normal.  No cancer in my ovaries.  I am at a higher risk for developing ovarian cancer due to being BRCA-1 positive.  At one of my breast reconstructive surgeries I will be having my ovaries removed.  It's a fairly simple procedure.

Now for more waiting.  My chemotherapy treatment was scheduled for 5 but it didn't start till about 6:30.   We had a very long day.  My treatment lasted for about 3 hours.  It was nice being able to have Papa with me for the day.  He got to see the amazing place that I am being treated at.  I know it was hard for him to see me in the hospital bed actually receiving the treatment but he got to see that I handle it pretty well.  Jim was also there for my treatment.

Here's a picture of Papa and me.

FEC treatment number 2 is checked off the list, now I have 2 more chemotherapy treatments to go.  Please pray that I feel well during this next 3 weeks.  Pray for the sleeplessness and depression to stay away.

Monika will be coming in tonight for a visit.  Then on Wednesday morning Papa and Monika will be leaving to drive out to California to visit my Onkel Bruno and Tante Erika.  Please keep their safe travels in your prayers also.

I love you all and once again thank you for your messages and prayers.  Without you I don't know how I'd get through this.

God Bless!!!  Happy Mother's Day to all the Mamas out there!

Love and Blessings from the top of my heart,

No comments:

Post a Comment