Sunday, December 7, 2014

Today is my 5th Survivorversary!!!!!

Howdy Prayer Warriors!!

Today on my 5th Survivorversary
Hard to believe 5 years have passed since I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. What a journey my family and I have been on.

As I think back to the first days after my diagnosis, I remember the unconditional love from Jim.  The dread of having to share the news with Jakob, Kelli, and Joey.  The dread of having to tell our parents.  Jim did all of that.  He was my rock and yet it was scary for him too.  Not just scary for me, the kiddos, and our families as well.  You know why he did all that?  It was love!


Love is what brings us through tough times.  I'm thankful for all the love I received during my treatments and surgeries.  So much love and kindness from our family and friends.  Even from total strangers.  

We live in a world that can be filled with so much hate.  War, conflict in our own families, and so many other hateful things.  

I believe God allowed my family to be on the Breast Cancer journey so that we could see that even in the toughest days, days we just want to give-up - Love keeps us going.  God is Love.

I'm doing well.  Healthy.  Happy.  Joyful.  Living and learning in China.  

I have asked "why China?", but just like when I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and I asked, "why me?" -- the answer I got was "why not me?", so now I get "why not China?".  

We have been blessed with great experiences in and out of China.  Jakob, Kelli, and Joey have classmates from all over the world.  We have gotten to go on some pretty awesome adventures.  The kiddos even travel sometimes for school events.  

We also live in the modern age where communication is available in so many forms (although not always reliable).

We've had family come visit us this year.  We loved it!!  They got to see where we live and how we live.

The kids and I got to go visit "home" for 2 months this summer, Jim got to visit for 3 weeks.  We made the most of our time in North America this summer.  

While in Kingwood -- I had my annual MD Anderson appointments.  Everything checked out ok.  The only thing that was slightly bad news was that I am 0.2% away from having Osteoporosis.  I have been working really hard at strengthening my bones by brisk walking.  I got a treadmill so I can walk even on "not so nice to walk outside days".  I'm determined to show my doctor that I can stop the progression of Osteoporosis without medicine.  Please pray about that for me.  He told me I'd have Osteoporosis by next summer if I didn't take the medicine.  That was discouraging.  But I believe anything is possible with prayer.  That encourages me.

Kids are doing really well also.  Jakob is playing basketball and in the midst of the college application process.  Kelli is currently in basketball season.  She finished assistant coaching middle school girls soccer.  Joey just finished his soccer season.  His team was undefeated and not scored against in their last tournament.  

Jim is doing well also.  He played "Mandy" the mandolin a few weeks at the International Fellowship (church) we attend.  He also coached ultimate frisbee and some soccer in the local international youth sports league.  

I am staying busy being a hunter and gatherer :).  I have coffee, lunch with friends.  Bible study once a week with other international gals.  And I volunteer at the school library once a week.  I get to have story time with these precious Chinese children - 3 year olds in the foundations class.  

My heart is Joy-filled!  Overflowing.  Writing this really makes me realize that I'm more blessed than I think I am!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!  And Happy 5th Survivorversary to me!! :)
Celebration today!

Love and Blessings from the top of my heart,

Moni

www.monkmoni.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment