Wednesday, August 18, 2010

feeling overwhelmed...

I know I shouldn't be feeling this way - overwhelmed!  I'm CANCER FREE!!  Why am I feeling this way?

One of the things that is heavy on my mind is the prevention of Lymphedema.  The Physical Therapists are giving me some wonderful tools in trying to prevent me from getting it.  Such as stretching exercises, soft tissue massage as well as little daily exercises like breathing exercises, wrist circles, opening and closing my hand and several other little exercises.

Great tools!!  I'm thankful for them!

Do you know what can cause Lymphedema?  Infections.  Things for me to avoid are: blood pressure cuffs on that arm (that's pretty easy), needle sticks on that arm (easy too), no hot showers, burns from cooking, bug bites, cuts and scratches to the hand or arm.  I also need to avoid harsh detergents (wearing rubber gloves when cleaning).  Avoid my hands from becoming dry or chapped.  Avoiding hangnails.  Avoid a razor while shaving under the arm (I have an electric razor).  Not that I do either one of these two things a lot but I need to avoid shelling shrimp or crawfish.

There's so much to know.

Oh yeah avoiding tight sleeved shirts, loose jewelry (I'm going to get my wedding rings made bigger).  Avoiding sleeping on the affected side, which of course is my favorite way to sleep.

Man do I hate complaining.  Why am I then?  I don't know!!!

Radiation increases my chances of getting Lymphedema too.  But I can't take the chance of not doing Radiation.  Those numbers of recurrence of Breast Cancer look so much better with Radiation than without it.

I received my Radiation schedule yesterday.  I went through the simulation.  Painless.  Cradle was made.  I was marked.  I had to learn how to breathe to drop my heart.  They don't want to radiate my heart, that would not be a good thing.  Since the lymph nodes that will be radiated are so close to my heart I have to hold my breath.  I get to wear these spaceage looking goggles that tell me when to hold my breath.

I will go for another run through on Friday and then start Radiation on Monday, August 23rd at 2 pm.  It's also the first day of school, thankfully I'll be able to take the kids to school on their first day back.  It's also the 16 year anniversary of my arrival in the USA, specifically Texas!!  It's a great day!  Lot's to be thankful for.

I will have 33 Radiation treatments.  My last one happens to be the day before I go on a "Girl's Weekend" with some friends. What a celebration that will be!!

I know I'm always asking you to pray for me.  But you know that without I wouldn't have gotten this far?

I ask you to continue to pray for me, for us whenever you can.

This overwhelming feeling is making me forget how far we've already come.

Thanks for being on this journey with me.

I love you!!!

Love and blessings from the top of my heart,

Moni

http://rfch.convio.net/goto/monimonk
www.caringbridge.org/visit/monimonk
www.monkmoni.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. And pray Pray PRAY...we will! You are an inspiration and gift Moni! Feeling overwhelmed as little as you do is an amazing testimony to God's Faithfulness! Keep looking up and know we are out here praying everyday for you and your family.

    Thank you so much for your very sweet birthday wishes!

    Love and hugs,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be there Monday too. At 1, dr appt at 2. Maybe we can finally meet up.

    ReplyDelete